Too Hot to Handle

Cooking Fires

According to the NFPA, cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home fire injuries in the United States and Canada. Most of these fires can be prevented by following these simple fire safety tips.

Steps You Can Take To Prevent Cooking Fires
  • Never leave cooking fires unattended
    Two out of five deaths in home cooking fires occur because the cooking was unattended.
  • Keep cooking area clean
    Always wipe appliances and surfaces after cooking to prevent grease buildup.
  • Do not store combustible objects near the stove
    Curtains, potholders, dish towels, and food packaging can easily catch fire.
  • Always turn pot handles toward the center of the stove and away from other burners
    Turning handles inward can prevent pots from being knocked off the stove or pulled down by small children.
  • Wear short or close-fitting sleeves when cooking
    Fires can occur when clothing comes in contact with stovetop burners.
  • Do not overheat cooking oil
    Heating cooking oils too high can easily start a fire. Never leave hot oil or grease-laden foods unattended. If you must leave the room, even for a short period of time, turn the burner setting down to simmer, or off completely.
  • Teach children safe cooking
    Young children should be kept at least 3 feet (1 meter) away from the stove while older family members are cooking. Older children should cook only with permission and under the supervision of a grown-up. Tell children of the potential dangers involved in cooking, particularly unattended cooking.
What to do if a Cooking Fire Starts
  • Put a lid on it If a pan catches fire, carefully slide a lid over the pan using a high cuff oven mitt and turn off the stove burner. Leave the lid on until completely cool! Do not carry the burning pan to a sink or outside. Movement may permit oxygen to the fire allowing it to ignite, or causing hot grease to spill and cause burns.
  • Keep oven or microwave door shut if fire starts Turn off the heat. If flames do not go out immediately, call the fire department. Opening the oven or microwave door allows oxygen to the fire and increases the potential for the fire to spread beyond the appliance.
  • Know how to use a fire extinguisher Not all fire extinguishers are alike. They are designed for specific types of fire. There are three general types of fire extinguisher:
    • Class A -- fires involving ordinary combustibles such as wood, cloth or paper;
    • Class B -- fires involving flammable liquids, greases, gases, etc.;
    • Class C -- electrical equipment fires.
A general purpose Class ABC extinguisher is a good choice if only one type of extinguisher is purchased. Make sure you have a clear escape route and the fire department has been called before attempting to extinguish a small fire.
  • Water and grease donít mix
    Never pour water on a grease fireWater causes grease fires to flare and spread.
  • Know the emergency number for your fire department
    If you are alone, call your local fire department before attempting to fight a fire. If possible, have someone call for you from an outside phone.
Back to

Back to:
- Smoke Alarms Save Lives
- Home Safety Tips

Websites of your interest

Websites of your interest:
- Ski Resorts
- Golf Courses