Commercial Automobile Insurance

If you use your personal car in the course of your business and you infrequently have customers in your car, most insurance companies will let you pay a little more for business use under your personal auto policy. However, if you have cars, vans, or trucks used primarily for business, you will likely have to buy a separate business auto policy.

Auto policies cover physical damage to the car, but do not cover the contents of a car, so if you travel outside the office with valuables (such as demo units, computers, samples, etc.), make sure your property policy covers loss outside your business. If other people will be driving your car for the business, put their names on your policy to ensure coverage in the case of an accident.

If your employees use their own cars in the course of working for you, you may need to get a non-owned auto insurance policy that provides coverage in case something happens when they are working for you.